Tuesday, September 30, 2014

the rest of my mission.

Today's the day that the sisters I entered into the mission field with return home. Today's the day I would've come home, had I served the full eighteen months of my mission. Instead, I came home on November 27th, 2013, the day before Thanksgiving.

The past ten months have completely flown by. They've gone by quicker than the eight months that I was serving in France.

I promised myself I wouldn't wonder what might have been, had I stayed and served the rest of the eighteen months. No looking back, only moving forward. It was really hard at first not to wonder if I'd made the right decision, if I was in the right place.

So many great things have happened in the past ten months in my life. I can't even doubt that this was all part of the plan. November 27th wasn't the end of my mission. It was just a transfer, and the beginning of the rest of my mission.

The first two months back were kind of a blur. Thanksgiving, Christmas, recovering, trying to make a new plan... Mostly I just caught up on TV shows and spent a lot of time in my bed. Also, a lot of lunch dates with my favorite friends ;) No regrets there.

At the end of January, I finally found a car and a completely wonderful job. If it weren't for the job I have, the relationships and friendships that I've found there, I think it would've taken longer to get out and back to normal life. I finally felt like I was doing something worthwhile again. God bless Wasatch Peak Physical Therapy.

Around the same time, I was called into the Relief Society presidency in my singles' ward. What a blessing to be surrounded by three amazing girls who immediately became my best friends. I don't think they'll ever realize how much they blessed my life through their examples and friendship. I've never laughed so much. That calling was my absolute favorite--serving in that capacity brought more joy into my life than I thought it would.

I got to live with my best friend for two months before she left on her mission. Not everyone gets a chance to do that! I hate to think that I might've missed out on that time together. 

My relationships with my family have been strengthened incredibly. I find myself doing things, good things, that I wouldn't have been brave enough to do before. I feel like I've grown up through all of these experiences. 

This part of my mission has been just as hard as the part in France. I still feel like I'm not doing enough, depression still sucks, and waking up at 6:30 is still one of the hardest parts of the day. There are still days that I can't get out of bed, and I know that these things with which I've struggled will always be challenges in my life.

That being said, I know this part of my mission is just as important as the time I served as a full-time missionary, if not more important. We're here to learn and grow together and lift each other up, regardless of our circumstances or our calling. I know that I haven't been alone in any of this, and that I'll never, ever be alone. Major shout out to my incredible friends and family who have accompanied me during this mission of life.

I'm no longer serving a full-time mission, but I will always be a missionary.

"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." --3 Nephi 5:12

How grateful I am that the Lord still trusts me to serve Him.

My mission isn't over.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for writing this. you are amazing! I would like to add a solid amen to what you have said. I adore you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly love this post! You are amazing my friend!

    ReplyDelete